Brock University is a public research university located in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada. Founded in 1964, Brock University is named after Sir Isaac Brock, a British military commander known for his leadership during the War of 1812. The university offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs in fields such as business, education, humanities, social sciences, health sciences, and the natural sciences.
Brock University is known for its commitment to student-centered education, innovative research, and community engagement. The university has a diverse student population, with students from over 100 countries studying at the institution. Brock University’s faculty are highly regarded experts in their fields and are committed to providing students with a high-quality education that prepares them for success in their chosen careers.
The university is located on a beautiful campus in the Niagara region, which is home to some of Canada’s most iconic natural attractions, such as Niagara Falls and Niagara-on-the-Lake. The campus offers modern facilities, including state-of-the-art laboratories, research centers, and athletic facilities.
Brock University is accredited by the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities and is a member of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada. With its focus on academic excellence and community engagement, Brock University is a leading institution of higher learning in Canada.
Table of Contents
Brock University was founded in 1964 in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada. The university is named after Sir Isaac Brock, a British military commander known for his leadership during the War of 1812. The idea for the university originated in the 1950s when a group of community leaders and educators began lobbying for a university to be established in the Niagara region. The Niagara Peninsula was one of the few regions in Ontario without a university at the time.
In 1963, the Ontario government passed the Brock University Act, which established Brock University as a new institution of higher learning in Ontario. The university opened its doors in September 1964 with an initial enrollment of 127 students. The first classes were held in temporary facilities at the St. Paul Street United Church in downtown St. Catharines, while the permanent campus was under construction.
Over the years, Brock University has expanded its academic offerings and research programs. In 1997, the university established the Marilyn I. Walker School of Fine and Performing Arts, which provides students with state-of-the-art facilities for music, theatre, and visual arts. In 2001, the university opened the Niagara Centre for Advanced Technology, which is home to research centers in areas such as biotechnology, environmental sustainability, and advanced manufacturing.
Today, Brock University is a leading institution of higher learning in Canada, known for its commitment to academic excellence, student-centered education, and community engagement. The university has a diverse student population, with students from over 100 countries studying at the institution. Brock University is accredited by the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities and is a member of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada.
Campus and residence (local and international)
Brock University is located on a 500-acre campus in the heart of the Niagara region in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada. The campus is divided into three main areas: the Academic Zone, the Research Zone, and the Student Life Zone. The Academic Zone is home to the university’s academic buildings, including classrooms, lecture halls, and faculty offices.
The Research Zone is home to the university’s research centers and laboratories, while the Student Life Zone is where students can find recreational and social facilities, such as the Student Union Building, athletic facilities, and dining options.
Brock University offers a variety of on-campus housing options for students, including traditional dormitory-style residences, apartment-style residences, and townhouse-style residences. All residences are equipped with modern amenities, including high-speed internet, laundry facilities, and 24-hour security. The residences also offer a range of dining options, including meal plans and access to on-campus restaurants and cafes.
In addition to on-campus housing, Brock University also offers off-campus housing options for students, such as homestays, apartments, and houses. The university’s Off-Campus Living office provides support and resources to students who are looking for off-campus housing options.
Overall, Brock University’s campus and residences offer students a safe and supportive environment where they can learn, grow, and thrive during their academic journey.
Brock University has consistently been ranked among the top universities in Canada by various ranking organizations. Here are some of the recent rankings for Brock University:
- Maclean’s University Rankings 2022: In the comprehensive category, Brock University ranked 19th out of 26 universities in Canada.
- Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2022: Brock University was ranked in the 601-800 category out of universities around the world.
- QS World University Rankings 2022: Brock University was ranked in the 801-1000 category out of universities around the world.
- ShanghaiRanking’s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2021: Brock University was ranked in the 301-400 category for Business Administration and the 401-500 category for Public Health.
- The Economist’s 2021 Which MBA? Ranking: Brock University’s Goodman School of Business was ranked 89th in the world for its MBA program.
While rankings are just one way to evaluate universities, they can provide helpful insights into the reputation and academic quality of an institution. Brock University’s consistently high rankings reflect its commitment to academic excellence and student success.
The tuition fees for Brock University vary depending on the program of study, level of study, and student’s residency status (i.e. domestic or international). Here is a general breakdown of the tuition fees for the 2022-2023 academic year:
- Domestic Undergraduate Students: The tuition fees for domestic undergraduate students range from $7,600 to $10,850 per year, depending on the program of study.
- International Undergraduate Students: The tuition fees for international undergraduate students range from $24,450 to $28,100 per year, depending on the program of study.
- Domestic Graduate Students: The tuition fees for domestic graduate students range from $6,100 to $12,750 per year, depending on the program of study.
- International Graduate Students: The tuition fees for international graduate students range from $12,600 to $30,150 per year, depending on the program of study.
It’s important to note that these are general estimates and that specific tuition fees may vary depending on the program of study and other factors. In addition to tuition fees, students may also need to budget for additional expenses such as textbooks, housing, and meal plans. Brock University offers a range of financial aid and scholarship opportunities to help students offset the cost of tuition and other expenses.
The admission requirements for Brock University vary depending on the level of study and the program of study. Here are some general admission requirements for undergraduate and graduate programs at Brock University:
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent with a minimum of six grade 12 U/M courses, including program-specific prerequisites.
- Minimum admission average of 70-80% depending on the program.
- English language proficiency test results (if applicable).
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution with a minimum average of 75-80% depending on the program.
- Program-specific prerequisites (if applicable).
- English language proficiency test results (if applicable).
- Letters of recommendation.
- Statement of purpose.
- GRE/GMAT scores (if applicable).
It’s important to note that these are general admission requirements and that specific requirements may vary depending on the program of study. It’s recommended that students consult the specific admission requirements for their desired program of study on Brock University’s website or contact the university’s admissions office for more information.
The acceptance rate of over 70%, and each year, it emrolls more student across its eight falsultiies. it’s important to note that admission to some programs at Brock University can be competitive, and meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission.
It’s recommended that students apply early and ensure that they meet all the admission requirements for their desired program of study. Brock University also offers a range of support services and resources to help students prepare for the application process and increase their chances of admission, such as academic advising, career services, and personal statement review.
Why you should study Brock University
can provide some information about what makes Brock University a great choice for some students:
- Academic Excellence: Brock University is known for its strong academic programs and world-class faculty. It offers a range of undergraduate and graduate programs in fields such as business, sciences, humanities, social sciences, and health sciences. Many of its programs are nationally and internationally recognized for their quality and innovation.
- Student-Focused: Brock University puts students at the center of everything it does. It offers a range of support services and resources to help students succeed academically, personally, and professionally, including academic advising, career services, health and wellness services, and more.
- Experiential Learning: Brock University is committed to providing students with hands-on learning opportunities both inside and outside the classroom. It offers a range of experiential learning programs, such as co-op, internships, research opportunities, and community engagement programs, that allow students to apply what they have learned in real-world settings.
- Location: Brock University is located in the heart of the Niagara Region, which offers a unique blend of urban and natural environments. It’s close to major cities like Toronto and Buffalo, but also surrounded by natural attractions such as the Niagara Escarpment and the Niagara Falls.
- Diversity and Inclusion: Brock University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive community that celebrates differences and promotes equity and accessibility. It offers a range of programs and initiatives to support underrepresented and marginalized students and promote social justice and equity.
Overall, Brock University may be a great choice for students who value academic excellence, student-centeredness, experiential learning, location, and diversity and inclusion. However, it’s important for each individual student to research and evaluate different universities based on their personal preferences and priorities.
Brock University has produced many notable alumni in various fields, including business, politics, entertainment, sports, and more. Brock University has produced many successful and notable alumni in various fields, including:
- Rick Dykstra – Canadian politician and former Member of Parliament
- Chantal Kreviazuk – Juno Award-winning singer-songwriter
- Ian Hamilton – renowned crime novelist and journalist
- Derek Sanderson – former NHL player and Stanley Cup champion
- Kevin Stobo – founder and CEO of the digital marketing agency “BuzzBuzzHome”
- Paul Beeston – former President and CEO of the Toronto Blue Jays
- Nadia Myre – award-winning visual artist
- Kate Beirness – Canadian sportscaster and television personality
- Gillian Ferrabee – dancer and choreographer
- Jayne Eastwood – Canadian actress and comedian.
These are just a few examples of the accomplished alumni that have graduated from Brock University.
Address: Niagara Region, 1812 Sir Isaac Brock Way, St. Catharines, ON, L2S 3A1 Canada
Phone: +1 905-688-5550
Brock University; Everything About the University by SchoolsinOntario