Georgian College Barrie is a public college located in Barrie, Ontario, Canada. It was established in 1967 and is one of the largest colleges in Ontario, serving approximately 13,000 full-time and 28,000 part-time students.
The college offers over 130 certificate, diploma, and degree programs in a wide range of disciplines, including business, engineering technology, health sciences, hospitality and tourism, community safety, and liberal arts. The college also offers continuing education courses and customized corporate training programs.
Georgian College Barrie has a number of campus locations, including the main Barrie campus, as well as satellite campuses in Orillia, Owen Sound, Midland, Muskoka, and South Georgian Bay. The Barrie campus is the largest and offers a wide range of amenities, including student residences, athletic facilities, and a full-service health and wellness center.
The college has a strong reputation for academic excellence and hands-on learning, and is recognized as one of Canada’s top research colleges. Georgian College Barrie has a number of partnerships with industry and community organizations, and provides students with a range of work-integrated learning opportunities to help them gain practical experience and prepare for their careers.
Overall, Georgian College Barrie is a highly regarded institution in Ontario’s post-secondary education landscape, and offers a diverse range of programs and services to meet the needs of its students and the community.
Table of Contents
Georgian College Barrie was founded in 1967 as a community college, initially offering programs in business, engineering technology, and health sciences. The college was named after the Georgian Bay, a large bay in Lake Huron located to the northwest of the city of Barrie, which is the largest urban center in the region.
In the early years, the college operated out of rented spaces in downtown Barrie, before moving to its current location on a 160-acre campus in the south end of the city in 1973. The new campus featured a range of modern facilities, including classrooms, laboratories, and student services.
Over the years, Georgian College Barrie continued to expand and diversify its programs, adding new areas of study such as environmental studies, hospitality and tourism, and community safety. The college also developed strong partnerships with industry and community organizations, and established itself as a leader in applied research and innovation.
In 2012, Georgian College Barrie opened its University Partnership Centre, which offers a range of degree programs in partnership with several universities, including Lakehead University, Yorkville University, and the University of Ontario Institute of Technology. This has allowed students to complete degree programs while remaining at Georgian College Barrie.
Today, Georgian College Barrie is one of the largest colleges in Ontario, serving thousands of students across multiple campuses and offering a wide range of certificate, diploma, and degree programs. The college remains committed to providing high-quality, hands-on education and training to prepare students for success in their chosen careers.
Campus and residence (local and international)
Georgian College Barrie has several campuses, but the main campus is located in Barrie, Ontario, which is about an hour’s drive north of Toronto. The campus is situated on a 160-acre property in the south end of the city and is easily accessible by public transportation.
The Barrie campus is a state-of-the-art facility that includes a range of modern amenities and services for students. These include:
- Academic buildings with classrooms, labs, and other learning spaces
- A full-service library with online resources, study spaces, and research support
- A student center with a food court, a convenience store, and a lounge area
- A fitness and wellness center with a gym, a pool, and other facilities
- Student housing with apartment-style accommodations for up to 880 students
- Athletic fields and other recreational facilities
The student residence at Georgian College Barrie is called the “Georgian Residence and Conference Centre” and is located on campus. It offers a range of apartment-style accommodations, including one- and two-bedroom suites with private bathrooms, kitchens, and living rooms. The residence is open to full-time students, as well as short-term guests, such as conference attendees or tourists.
The residence is equipped with modern amenities and services, including Wi-Fi, laundry facilities, and 24-hour security. Residents also have access to common areas, such as lounges, kitchens, and study rooms, where they can socialize and study with other students. The residence is a popular option for students who want to live on campus and be close to their classes and other activities.
Georgian College Barrie is a well-regarded institution in the Canadian post-secondary education landscape, with a strong reputation for academic excellence and hands-on learning. While Georgian College Barrie is not typically included in traditional university rankings, there are several other metrics and indicators that can be used to evaluate the quality and reputation of the college.
One such indicator is the college’s performance in various national and provincial surveys of student satisfaction and program quality. For example, in the most recent Canadian College and University Rankings published by Maclean’s magazine, Georgian College Barrie ranked third in the country in the category of Overall Satisfaction.
Georgian College Barrie also has a number of program-specific accreditations and recognitions from professional organizations and industry associations. These accreditations and recognitions are a testament to the high quality and relevance of the college’s programs, and provide students with an added level of confidence in the education they are receiving.
Finally, Georgian College Barrie has a strong track record of employment and career success for its graduates. According to data from the Ontario government, Georgian College Barrie has a high graduate employment rate and high median graduate earnings compared to other colleges in the province. This suggests that students who graduate from Georgian College Barrie are well-prepared for the workforce and are able to find meaningful and well-paying employment in their chosen fields.
The tuition fees for Georgian College Barrie vary depending on the program of study, the level of study (e.g., certificate, diploma, degree), and the student’s residency status (i.e., domestic or international). The following information provides an overview of the current tuition fees for 2022-2023 academic year:
- Domestic students (Canadian citizens or permanent residents) can expect to pay an average of $4,500-$7,500 per academic year for most certificate and diploma programs. Degree programs tend to be slightly more expensive, with an average tuition fee of $9,000-$12,000 per academic year.
- International students can expect to pay higher tuition fees than domestic students. The average tuition fee for international students is approximately $14,000-$16,000 per academic year for most certificate and diploma programs. Degree programs tend to be slightly more expensive, with an average tuition fee of $18,000-$20,000 per academic year.
It is important to note that these are approximate estimates, and the actual tuition fees for specific programs may vary. In addition to tuition fees, students may also need to budget for additional costs, such as textbooks, housing, and other living expenses. Georgian College Barrie offers a range of financial aid and scholarships to help students cover these costs, and students are encouraged to explore these options to help make their education more affordable.
The admission requirements for Georgian College Barrie vary depending on the program of study and the level of study (i.e., certificate, diploma, or degree). However, there are some general admission requirements that apply to most programs. Here is an overview of the admission requirements for Georgian College Barrie:
- Academic Requirements: Applicants must have a high school diploma or equivalent (such as GED) to be considered for admission. Depending on the program, additional academic requirements may be necessary, such as specific high school courses or post-secondary credits.
- English Language Proficiency: All applicants whose first language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in English by submitting acceptable scores from an English language proficiency test, such as TOEFL or IELTS.
- Program-specific Requirements: Some programs may have additional requirements, such as work experience, a portfolio, or an audition. These requirements are program-specific and can be found on the program’s website.
- Application Process: Applicants must submit an application through the Ontario Colleges website and pay the application fee. The application process typically requires applicants to provide their academic transcripts, English language proficiency test scores, and any other program-specific requirements.
- Other Requirements: In addition to the above requirements, applicants may also be required to submit a personal statement, letters of recommendation, or attend an interview as part of the application process.
It’s important to note that admission to Georgian College Barrie is competitive, and meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission to the college. The college considers a range of factors when making admission decisions, including academic performance, English language proficiency, program-specific requirements, and other factors. Check out the college website.
Georgian College Barrie is a home to students from over 65 countries with an acceptance rate of 90%. The college is known for its strong academic programs and hands-on learning opportunities, which attract many qualified applicants from across Canada and around the world. In addition to meeting the academic and English language proficiency requirements, applicants must also demonstrate that they have the motivation, commitment, and potential to succeed in their chosen program of study.
While the exact acceptance rate for Georgian College Barrie is not available, the college is committed to providing all qualified applicants with a fair and transparent admission process. The college provides a range of resources and support to help applicants navigate the admission process and make informed decisions about their education.
Georgian College Barrie has produced many notable alumni who have made significant contributions in a range of fields. Here are a few examples of notable alumni from Georgian College Barrie:
- Dan McGrath: McGrath is a Canadian animator, artist, and filmmaker who has worked on a number of high-profile animated films and TV shows, including The Iron Giant, The Incredibles, and Ratatouille. He graduated from Georgian College Barrie’s 3D Animation program in 1999.
- Fionnuala Kenny: Kenny is a Canadian politician who served as the Member of Parliament for the riding of Simcoe-Grey from 2008 to 2015. She graduated from Georgian College Barrie’s Nursing program in 1980.
- Brandon McBride: McBride is a Canadian middle-distance runner who has won numerous national and international titles, including a gold medal at the 2018 Commonwealth Games. He graduated from Georgian College Barrie’s Sport and Recreation Management program in 2017.
- Kevin Smith: Smith is a Canadian professional wrestler who has competed in the WWE and other wrestling organizations. He graduated from Georgian College Barrie’s Fitness and Health Promotion program in 2004.
- Rachel McAdams: McAdams is a Canadian actress who has starred in a number of popular films, including Mean Girls, The Notebook, and Spotlight. While McAdams did not attend Georgian College Barrie, she did attend a summer theater program at the college when she was a teenager.
These are just a few examples of the many successful alumni from Georgian College Barrie. The college takes pride in the achievements of its graduates and encourages students to aim high and pursue their dreams.
Georgian College Barrie; Everything About the College by SchoolsinOntario