Nipissing University is a public university located in North Bay, Ontario, Canada. The university was founded in 1992 and is named after Lake Nipissing, which is located near the campus.
Nipissing University offers undergraduate and graduate programs in a variety of fields, including Arts, Business, Education, Science, and Social Work. The university has a small student body of around 5,000 students, which allows for small class sizes and personalized attention from faculty members.
The campus is situated on a 720-acre woodland setting, with state-of-the-art facilities and modern infrastructure, providing students with an immersive and supportive learning environment. The university also offers a variety of extracurricular activities and events, including sports, clubs, and cultural events, to enhance the overall student experience.
Nipissing University is committed to providing high-quality education that prepares students for successful careers and lifelong learning. The university’s faculty members are dedicated to academic excellence and are actively engaged in research, scholarship, and community service.
Overall, Nipissing University is a vibrant and dynamic institution that fosters intellectual growth, critical thinking, and social responsibility among its students.
Table of Contents
Nipissing University has a relatively short history, having been established in 1992. However, the roots of the institution can be traced back to the early 1900s when the North Bay Normal School was founded to train teachers for the region. Over the years, the Normal School evolved into the North Bay Teachers College, which eventually became part of Laurentian University in 1960.
In the 1980s, there was a growing demand for a standalone university in the North Bay region. In response, a group of community leaders, educators, and politicians formed the Nipissing University Committee to explore the feasibility of establishing a new university. After years of planning, lobbying, and fundraising, Nipissing University was finally established as an independent institution in 1992.
In its early years, Nipissing University focused primarily on teacher education, but it gradually expanded its programs to include a wide range of disciplines. Today, the university offers undergraduate and graduate programs in Arts, Business, Education, Science, and Social Work.
Over the years, Nipissing University has experienced significant growth and transformation. The campus has expanded, and the university has built new facilities and launched new programs to meet the changing needs of its students and the community. Despite these changes, the university has remained committed to its founding principles of providing high-quality education and fostering a sense of community among its students and faculty.
Campus and residence (local and international)
Nipissing University is located on a beautiful 720-acre campus in North Bay, Ontario, Canada. The campus is situated in a natural woodland setting, providing a peaceful and scenic environment for students to study, live, and learn.
The university has several modern facilities, including a state-of-the-art library, computer labs, science labs, and specialized facilities for programs such as social work and education. The campus also features a number of athletic facilities, including a fitness center, gymnasiums, an indoor pool, and outdoor sports fields.
Nipissing University offers several options for student residence, including traditional-style dormitories and apartment-style residences. The residences are fully furnished and equipped with modern amenities, such as wireless internet, laundry facilities, and communal spaces for socializing and studying.
In addition to the on-campus residences, Nipissing University also has a partnership with the student housing provider, Places4Students, which helps students find off-campus housing options near the university.
Overall, Nipissing University’s campus and residence options provide students with a comfortable and supportive environment where they can focus on their studies and engage in a variety of extracurricular activities.
Nipissing University is a respected institution of higher learning in Canada, but it is not commonly ranked in international university rankings due to its smaller size and focus on undergraduate education. However, the university has received recognition for its commitment to providing high-quality education and fostering student success.
In 2021, Nipissing University was ranked as the #1 undergraduate university in Ontario for student satisfaction by Maclean’s Magazine, a leading Canadian news magazine. The university has consistently ranked highly in this category over the years, indicating the university’s focus on providing an excellent student experience.
Nipissing University has also been recognized for its commitment to sustainability and was included in the Princeton Review’s Guide to Green Colleges in 2021.
While Nipissing University may not have the same level of international recognition as some larger universities, it is a well-regarded institution within Canada, known for its strong academic programs, supportive community, and focus on student success.
The tuition fees at Nipissing University vary depending on the program of study, degree level, and whether the student is a domestic or international student. However, as a publicly funded institution, the tuition fees at Nipissing University are generally lower than those of many private universities in Canada.
For the 2022-2023 academic year, the annual tuition fees for undergraduate domestic students at Nipissing University range from approximately $6,758 to $9,546, depending on the program of study. For international undergraduate students, the annual tuition fees range from approximately $22,880 to $25,860.
For graduate programs, the annual tuition fees for domestic students range from approximately $5,350 to $12,118, depending on the program of study. For international graduate students, the annual tuition fees range from approximately $18,390 to $23,716.
The admission requirements for Nipissing University vary depending on the level of study and the program of interest. Generally, to be considered for admission to an undergraduate program at Nipissing University, students must have completed secondary school with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 70%, as well as meet the specific program prerequisites.
In addition to meeting the academic requirements, students may also be required to submit a personal statement or essay, letters of recommendation, and/or evidence of extracurricular involvement or work experience. Some programs may also require specific standardized test scores, such as the SAT or ACT for international students.
For graduate programs at Nipissing University, students must have completed a four-year undergraduate degree with a minimum GPA of 70%. In addition, some programs may require specific prerequisites or relevant work experience.
International students must also meet the university’s English language proficiency requirements, which may include taking an approved English language proficiency test such as TOEFL or IELTS.
It is important to note that admission to Nipissing University is competitive, and meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. Admission decisions are based on a variety of factors, including academic performance, personal qualities, and fit with the university’s programs and values.
For more information on the admission requirements for Nipissing University, including program-specific requirements and application deadlines, students should consult the university’s website or contact the admissions office.
Being a relatively easy to get admission, Nipissing University acceptance rate is 70%. The university is generally considered to be moderately selective. This means that while admission to Nipissing University is competitive, the university still admits a significant number of applicants each year.
The actual acceptance rate can vary depending on a variety of factors, including the number of applications received, the strength of the applicant pool, and the availability of spots in specific programs. However, as a smaller university that primarily focuses on undergraduate education, Nipissing University may have a lower number of applicants and a higher acceptance rate than some larger universities.
It is important to note that meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission to Nipissing University, as admission decisions are based on a variety of factors beyond academic performance. Applicants should make sure to carefully review the admission requirements and application procedures for their desired program and submit a strong application that highlights their academic achievements, extracurricular involvement, and personal qualities.
Why you should study at Nipissing University
There are several reasons why someone might consider studying at Nipissing University:
- Strong academic programs: Nipissing University offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs in fields such as education, business, humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and more. The university is known for its high-quality academic programs and dedicated faculty who provide personalized attention and support to students.
- Small class sizes: Nipissing University is a smaller institution, which means that classes tend to be smaller as well. This creates a more personalized learning environment where students have the opportunity to engage in discussions, ask questions, and receive feedback from professors.
- Focus on student success: Nipissing University is committed to helping students achieve their academic and personal goals. The university provides a range of resources and support services, such as academic advising, career services, and counseling, to help students succeed both in and out of the classroom.
- Engaging campus life: Nipissing University has a vibrant campus community with a variety of clubs, organizations, and events that students can get involved in. This provides opportunities for students to make friends, develop leadership skills, and pursue their interests outside of their academic program.
- Beautiful natural setting: Nipissing University is located in North Bay, Ontario, which is known for its beautiful natural surroundings. The campus is situated on Lake Nipissing and is surrounded by forests and hiking trails, providing opportunities for students to engage in outdoor activities and explore the natural world.
Overall, Nipissing University provides a supportive and engaging environment where students can pursue their academic and personal goals, develop lifelong skills and connections, and experience the natural beauty of Northern Ontario.
Nipissing University Address and Contact
Address: 100 College Drive, Box 5002, North Bay, ON, Canada P1B 8L7
Tel: 705-474-3450 Fax: 705-474-1947 TTY: 877-688-5507
Nipissing University has produced many successful alumni across a variety of fields. Here are a few notable examples:
- Tamara Levitt – A meditation teacher, author, and creator of the Calm mindfulness app.
- Sean Conway – A former professional cyclist who completed a cross-Canada run to raise awareness for youth homelessness and mental health.
- Kelly Murumets – The former CEO of ParticipACTION, a Canadian non-profit organization that promotes physical activity and healthy living.
- Andrew Scheer – A former Canadian politician who served as Leader of the Official Opposition in the House of Commons from 2017-2019.
- Kate Pace – A former Olympic alpine skier who competed for Canada in the 1988 and 1992 Winter Olympics.
- Danny Dupuis – A former Canadian Football League (CFL) player who played for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Winnipeg Blue Bombers.
- Mike Flanagan – A former NHL player who played for the Detroit Red Wings, Toronto Maple Leafs, and other teams.
- Christa McAuliffe – A former high school teacher and astronaut who was tragically killed in the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster in 1986. McAuliffe completed a course at Nipissing University as part of her astronaut training program.
These are just a few examples of the many accomplished alumni of Nipissing University who have made significant contributions to their respective fields.
Nipissing University; Everything You Need To Know by SchoolsinOntario