How to Apply Algonquin college—Algonquin College is a public an English based public institution located in Ottawa, Ontario and Canada alongside abundance off-campus housing in the area.
The college is one of Canada’s largest colleges with over 200 programs (bachelor degrees, postgraduate, diploma and certificate programs) of study and about 20,000 full time students.
With its nature friendly and student-oriented atmosphere, students from all parts of the world come to Algonquin College from around the world to study English, take second- and third-year courses within their area of specialization and to pursue customized skills upgrading and training programs. Education in Algonquin combines theory and practice through hands-on applied learning, team projects and lab.
Table of Contents
Before you apply
Once you’ve decided on which program, you’re interested in, make sure you review the following instructions
- Check out the entrance requirements found on your program page under Application/ Admission Information to see if you’re eligible to apply
- Ensure the program you’re interested in is nor closed for application
- Prepare to pay a $110 (non-refundable) application fee via credit card (some visa debit cards accepted) and aware that there may be additional transcript retrieval fees.
- Prepare to provide supporting documents about your previous education and or applicable testing completed.
- If you are a permanent resident, landed immigrants or refugee you will need to provide proof of status in Canada.
Prepare your documents
Future students of Algonquin need an Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or an equivalent, however if applicant do not have a H high School Diploma, Algonquin College accepts General Education Development (GED) certificate, and Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) Ontario College certificate.
If applicant is over the age of 19, or will be by program start date, you may also apply as a mature student without the equivalent to a High School Diploma. Note that in both instances, your application will be considered on an individual basis and you may be invited to complete an assessment at the Test Center for English and or Math if subject specific grades are required for your program of choice.
Ontariocolleges.ca opens for applications into the next academic year. This means that if you want to start college in January, you can start application in October of the previous year. Starting the application process early allows you more time to gather required materials such as transcripts and to complete any other admissions requirements. It also means more time to complete any required assessments.
Depending on when you’ve applied to start, the dates for admission will differ, also be abreast that there is no application deadline as Algonquin College admission is accepted throughout the year. However, some programs are highly competitive hence students must apply on February 1st.
Domestic and international applicant
For a successful application to Algonquin College the following steps should be considered on how to apply Algonquin college.
Step 1: Confirm your program
- Confirm your program – Open programs
Step 2: Review Admission Requirements per country
- Admission Requirements per country
- English language proficiency test & scores
- Exemptions from English proficiency requirements
Step 3: Review Visa, Study Permit, work requirements
Step 4: Start the online application process
- Create password for the online application portal
- Login to upload documents and pay application fee
Step 5: Receive letter of acceptance via the online application portal
Step 6: Pay fees
Step 7: Apply for a visa, study, work permit
- Residents living in China, India, Philippines or Vietnam may get study permit faster by using the Student Direct Stream
Step 8: Register and attend international student orientation.
- Register and attend international students’ orientation to meet new friends, have fun and learn important information about Algonquin and about being an international students in Canada.
Step 9: Arrange for travel/airport pickup.
You can download a step-by-step guide here: How to Apply for Algonquin Programs.
How to apply Algonquin College as a domestic applicant
Visit Ontariocolleges.ca to login or create an account. Be sure to activate your account through the college’s email verification link. Do not create more than one account. Make your application and select your programs.
How to apply Algonquin College as an international applicant
International applicants apply directly to Algonquin through Algonquin College International Application Portal.
- Step 1: Choose a program/why Algonquin
- Step 2: Apply to AC
- Step 3: Track your Application
- Step 4: Receive your offer
- Step 5: Confirm on ontariocolleges.ca
- Step 6: Pay your fees
- Step 7: Next steps
- Step 8: Get your timetable
- Step 9: Orientation
- Step 10: Congratulations, you made it!!
Note the international students pay all relevant Canadian program fees plus and an international premium of about $4,925.77 per term for full time Graduate Certificate and Bachelor Degree of Applied Studies programs.
After you apply Algonquin College
Algonquin College will acknowledge and confirm application within 48 hours. Usually, it takes somewhere between 6-8 weeks to process the application and issue the offer letter after applying.
Note that you may be asked to supply additional supporting documents or complete additional testing (fees may apply).
If you are accepted to the program of your choice, you will be required to pay a $500.00 (non-refundable) deposit through online banking.
Once you receive and confirm your offer, follow the steps below
- Login to your Algonquin College Student Information System (ACSIS) student portal
- View the key admissions date and make sure you update your calendar
- Have a financial plan
- Tuition contest
- Career planning help to help find a career that fits your interest
- Book campus tour
- Why Algonquin College (AC), new students are asked why they chose AC.