Mohawk College is a public college located in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. The college was established in 1966 and is one of the largest colleges in the province of Ontario, with over 33,000 full-time, part-time, and continuing education students enrolled each year.
Mohawk College offers over 130 certificate, diploma, and degree programs in a wide range of fields, including business, health sciences, engineering technology, media, and community services. The college also offers apprenticeship and continuing education programs to help students acquire the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in their chosen careers.
Mohawk College is known for its commitment to innovation and technology, with a focus on experiential learning and applied research. The college has strong partnerships with local businesses and industries, which provides students with opportunities for real-world experience and helps them to develop the skills and knowledge needed to excel in their chosen fields.
In addition to its academic programs, Mohawk College offers a variety of services and resources to support students, including academic advising, career services, and health and wellness services. The college also has a vibrant campus life, with a wide range of clubs, organizations, and events to help students connect with their peers and get involved in the community.
Overall, Mohawk College is a well-respected institution that offers high-quality education and a supportive learning environment for students.
Table of Contents
Mohawk College was founded in 1966 as part of a provincial initiative to expand the college system in Ontario, Canada. The college was established to provide vocational training and post-secondary education for the growing population of Hamilton and surrounding areas.
Originally, the college was located in temporary facilities, including rented buildings and even a former industrial site. However, in the early 1970s, the college began construction on a permanent campus on Fennell Avenue in Hamilton. The new campus opened in 1971, and the college continued to grow and expand over the following decades.
In the 1990s, Mohawk College underwent a period of significant change and expansion, with the addition of several new facilities and the establishment of new programs. The college also began to focus on applied research and innovation, forming partnerships with local businesses and industries to promote economic development in the region.
Today, Mohawk College is one of the largest colleges in Ontario, with a wide range of certificate, diploma, and degree programs in fields such as health sciences, engineering technology, business, media, and community services. The college has a strong reputation for innovation and experiential learning, and is committed to providing students with the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in their chosen careers.
CAMPUS AND RESIDENCE (LOCAL AND INTERNATIONAL)
Mohawk College has several campuses located in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. The main campus is the Fennell Campus, which is located on Fennell Avenue in Hamilton. This campus is the largest of the Mohawk College campuses and is home to most of the college’s programs and services.
Other campuses include the Stoney Creek Campus, which offers programs in skilled trades and technology, and the Institute for Applied Health Sciences at McMaster University, which offers health sciences programs in partnership with McMaster University.
Mohawk College does offer on-campus housing for students at the Fennell Campus. The Residence and Conference Centre is a modern, four-story building with fully furnished suites that can accommodate up to four students. The suites feature private bedrooms, shared living spaces, and kitchenettes. The Residence and Conference Centre also offers on-site laundry facilities, a fitness center, and a 24-hour front desk.
In addition to on-campus housing, Mohawk College has partnerships with several off-campus housing providers in Hamilton. These providers offer a range of housing options, including apartments, townhouses, and homestays, to suit the needs and budgets of students.
Overall, Mohawk College is committed to providing a safe, comfortable, and convenient living environment for its students, both on and off campus.
Mohawk College is a well-respected institution in Canada and has received recognition and awards for its programs, services, and innovation. However, it is important to note that Mohawk College is primarily a college and not a research-intensive university, so it may not be directly ranked by some of the major international ranking organizations.
That being said, Mohawk College has been ranked highly in various categories by several organizations. For example:
- According to the Canadian Bureau for International Education, Mohawk College is ranked 3rd in Ontario for international student satisfaction.
- In 2020, Mohawk College was named one of Canada’s Top 50 Research Colleges by Research Infosource Inc., a research and consulting firm.
- Mohawk College has been recognized by Forbes as one of Canada’s Best Employers in 2021, based on employee satisfaction and workplace culture.
- According to the 2021 College Quality Assurance Audit Results, Mohawk College has a 96% satisfaction rate among its students.
- Mohawk College has been named one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for several years by the Canada’s Top 100 Employers project, recognizing the college’s commitment to sustainability and environmental stewardship.
While these rankings and recognitions provide insight into Mohawk College’s strengths and achievements, it’s important to note that the value of an education cannot be solely measured by rankings. Students should consider a range of factors, including the programs and services offered, the campus community, and the overall fit with their goals and aspirations, when choosing a college or university to attend.
The tuition fees for Mohawk College vary depending on the program of study and the student’s status (i.e., domestic or international). Here is a general overview of the tuition fees for Mohawk College:
- Domestic Students: For domestic students (i.e., Canadian citizens or permanent residents), the tuition fees for a full-time program generally range from $3,000 to $5,500 per academic year, depending on the program.
- International Students: For international students, the tuition fees for a full-time program generally range from $14,000 to $20,000 per academic year, depending on the program.
It’s important to note that the tuition fees do not include additional expenses such as textbooks, materials, and living expenses, which can vary widely depending on the individual student’s situation. Mohawk College provides a cost estimator tool on their website to help students estimate their total expenses.
Financial aid and scholarships may be available to students to help offset the cost of tuition and other expenses. Mohawk College offers several scholarships, bursaries, and awards for both domestic and international students based on academic achievement, financial need, and other criteria. Students can visit the Mohawk College website or speak with a financial aid advisor to learn more about their options.
The admission requirements for Mohawk College can vary depending on the program of study and the student’s background. However, here are some general admission requirements:
- Academic Requirements: For most programs, students are required to have completed high school or equivalent, with specific courses and grades in math and English. Some programs may have additional requirements, such as pre-requisite courses or a minimum GPA.
- English Language Proficiency: Students whose first language is not English must provide evidence of English language proficiency through one of the recognized language tests such as TOEFL, IELTS, etc.
- Supporting Documents: Applicants must submit all required supporting documents, including transcripts, English language test results, and any other program-specific requirements.
- Mature Student Status: For students who have been out of school for a period of time, mature student status may be an option. Mature students must meet certain criteria, such as being over a certain age or passing an assessment test.
- International Student Requirements: International students may have additional requirements, such as a study permit, medical exam, and proof of financial support.
It’s important to note that admission requirements can vary by program, so students should consult the specific requirements for their chosen program on the Mohawk College website or contact the admissions office for more information.
Mohawk College acceptance rate is 52%, making it significantly easy to get admission in the college. Hence, students need to prove their exclusive academic performance and meet the academic requirements to get accepted. It is generally known that Mohawk College is a competitive college that receives a large number of applications each year, particularly for popular programs.
Admission to Mohawk College is based on a combination of factors, including academic achievement, English language proficiency, and other program-specific requirements. The college has a competitive admissions process, and meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admission to a program.
Despite the competitive admissions process, Mohawk College is committed to providing access to education for students from all backgrounds. The college has a range of programs and services designed to support student success, including academic advising, tutoring, and career development services. Mohawk College also has partnerships with local businesses and industries to provide students with hands-on learning opportunities and career connections.
Students who are interested in attending Mohawk College are encouraged to review the admission requirements for their chosen program and to apply early. The college has rolling admissions, which means that applications are reviewed as they are received, and some programs fill up quickly.
Mohawk College has many notable alumni who have gone on to make significant contributions in a variety of fields. Here are just a few examples:
- Ryan Lopes: Ryan is a Mohawk College graduate who went on to become a social media influencer and entrepreneur. He is the founder of the popular online fashion brand, Mr. Lopes.
- Jesse St. James: Jesse is a Mohawk College graduate who went on to become a professional wrestler, known for his work in WWE under the ring name, “Jinder Mahal.”
- Elyse Saunders: Elyse is a Mohawk College graduate who went on to become a country music singer and songwriter. She has released several albums and singles and has been recognized with several awards.
- John C. Munro: John was a Mohawk College graduate and former Member of Parliament who served as the Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development in the Canadian federal government.
- Dr. Ray Tanguay: Dr. Tanguay is a Mohawk College graduate who went on to become an automotive executive, serving as the Chair of Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada and leading Toyota’s operations in North America.
- Jillian Vanstone: Jillian is a Mohawk College graduate who went on to become a principal dancer with the National Ballet of Canada.
- Anthony Gagliardi: Anthony is a Mohawk College graduate who went on to become a co-founder of the popular mobile app, “StickerYou.”
These are just a few examples of the many successful alumni who have graduated from Mohawk College. The college has a strong tradition of providing students with the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in their chosen fields.
Mohawk College; Everything You need To Know by SchoolsinOntario