Niagara College is a college located in the Niagara Region of Ontario, Canada. It offers a wide range of certificate, diploma, and degree programs in fields such as business, hospitality, technology, health sciences, and community services.
The college was founded in 1967 and has since grown to become one of the largest colleges in Canada. It has two main campuses: Welland Campus and Niagara-on-the-Lake Campus, both located in the Niagara Region.
Niagara College is known for its focus on experiential learning, offering students opportunities to gain practical, hands-on experience in their fields of study through co-op programs, work-integrated learning, and applied research projects. The college also has a strong reputation for its programs in wine and culinary arts, which are housed in its Canadian Food and Wine Institute.
In addition to its academic programs, Niagara College offers a range of services to support students, including academic advising, career services, and health and wellness services. The college also has a vibrant student life with a variety of clubs, sports teams, and social events.
Overall, Niagara College is a well-regarded institution that provides students with a high-quality education and valuable practical experience in a variety of fields.
Table of Contents
Niagara College was founded in 1967 as the Niagara College of Applied Arts and Technology. The college was established to provide vocational and technical training to students in the Niagara Region of Ontario, Canada. Its first campus was located in Welland, Ontario, and it offered programs in fields such as engineering, business, and health sciences.
In the following decades, Niagara College expanded its program offerings and opened a second campus in Niagara-on-the-Lake in 1998. The new campus was home to the Canadian Food and Wine Institute, which offered programs in culinary arts, wine studies, and hospitality.
Throughout its history, Niagara College has been committed to providing students with hands-on, experiential learning opportunities. In the 1990s, the college developed a co-operative education program that allowed students to gain practical work experience in their field of study. In recent years, the college has also focused on applied research projects that provide students with opportunities to work on real-world projects with industry partners.
Today, Niagara College is one of the largest colleges in Canada, with over 10,000 full-time students and 1,200 staff members. It offers more than 130 certificate, diploma, and degree programs in a wide range of fields, including business, technology, health sciences, and community services. Niagara College continues to be a leader in experiential learning and applied research, providing students with the knowledge and skills they need to succeed in their chosen careers.
CAMPUS AND RESIDENCE (LOCAL AND INTERNATIONAL)
Niagara College has two main campuses located in the Niagara Region of Ontario, Canada: The Welland Campus and the Niagara-on-the-Lake Campus.
The Welland Campus is the larger of the two campuses, and it is home to most of the college’s academic programs. The campus features modern facilities, including a learning common, a fitness center, and a student center with a food court and other amenities. The campus is also home to several specialized facilities, such as a technology center, an environmental center, and a trades and technology center.
The Niagara-on-the-Lake Campus is located in the heart of Ontario’s wine country, and it is home to the Canadian Food and Wine Institute, which offers programs in culinary arts, wine studies, and hospitality. The campus also features a teaching winery, a teaching brewery, and a greenhouse.
Niagara College offers on-campus residence options for students at both campuses. The residences provide a variety of room options, including single, double, and suite-style accommodations. The residences also offer a range of amenities, including common lounges, kitchens, laundry facilities, and study spaces. Additionally, the college offers a range of meal plans for students who choose to live on campus. Off-campus housing options are also available in the surrounding communities for students who prefer to live off-campus.
Niagara College is a well-regarded college in Canada and has received recognition for its academic programs and student experience. Here are a few examples of its rankings and accolades:
- According to the 2022 edition of the Webometrics Ranking of World Universities, Niagara College is ranked as the 88th best college in Canada.
- The Canadian Business and Maclean’s 2021 rankings placed Niagara College in the top 10 for overall quality of student experience among Canadian colleges.
- The Canadian Food and Wine Institute at Niagara College has received numerous awards and recognition for its culinary arts and hospitality programs, including being named the top culinary school in Ontario-by-Ontario Restaurant News in 2020.
- In 2021, Niagara College was recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers by the Canada’s Top 100 Employers competition, in part due to its sustainability initiatives and programs.
- The college has also received recognition for its co-op and work-integrated learning programs, including being named a national leader in experiential learning by the Canadian Association of Co-operative Education.
It’s worth noting that while rankings can be a helpful tool in evaluating schools, they should not be the only factor considered when choosing a college or university. It’s important to also consider factors such as program offerings, campus culture, location, and personal fit.
The tuition fees for Niagara College vary depending on the program of study, the level of study, and whether the student is a domestic or international student. Here are some estimated tuition fees for the 2022-2023 academic year:
- For domestic students, the estimated annual tuition fees for a full-time diploma or certificate program at Niagara College range from approximately $3,700 to $7,200.
- For international students, the estimated annual tuition fees for a full-time diploma or certificate program range from approximately $14,000 to $16,500.
- For domestic and international students, the estimated annual tuition fees for a full-time degree program at Niagara College range from approximately $8,600 to $14,200.
It’s important to note that these are only estimates, and tuition fees may vary depending on the specific program and other factors. Additionally, there may be other fees and expenses to consider, such as textbooks, housing, and transportation. It’s recommended that students check the Niagara College website or contact the school’s admissions office for the most up-to-date information on tuition fees and other costs.
The College demonstrates a lightly competitive admission process with an acceptance rate of 92%. Admission requirements for Niagara College vary depending on the program of study and whether the student is a domestic or international student. Here is some general information about admission requirements:
- English Language Proficiency: All applicants, including domestic and international students, must demonstrate English language proficiency if their primary language is not English. The college accepts a variety of English language proficiency tests, such as TOEFL, IELTS, and PTE Academic.
- Academic Requirements: Applicants must meet the minimum academic requirements for their desired program of study. This may include a high school diploma or equivalent, specific high school courses or prerequisites, or previous college or university coursework.
- Portfolio or Audition: Some programs, such as those in the arts or design, may require applicants to submit a portfolio or participate in an audition as part of the admission process.
- Other Requirements: Some programs may have additional admission requirements, such as a criminal background check or immunization records.
It’s important to note that admission requirements can vary by program and that meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. The college may also consider additional factors such as work experience, volunteer work, or personal statements as part of the admission process. Students are encouraged to visit the Niagara College website or contact the school’s admissions office for more specific information about admission requirements for their desired program of study.
Admission to Niagara College is based on several factors, including the applicant’s academic qualifications, English language proficiency, and other program-specific requirements. Some programs may also have limited enrollment or require additional admission criteria, such as an audition or portfolio submission.
It’s important to note that admission to Niagara College is not solely based on grades and test scores. The college also considers factors such as work experience, community involvement, and personal statements when evaluating applicants.
While the college does not release an official acceptance rate, it is generally recommended that students apply as early as possible and carefully review the admission requirements for their desired program to increase their chances of being accepted. Additionally, students can reach out to the Niagara College admissions office for more information on the admission process and acceptance rates.
Niagara College has a growing list of notable alumni in various fields, including entertainment, sports, business, and more. Here are a few examples of some of the college’s notable alumni:
- Jonny Harris – Canadian comedian, actor, and writer, known for his work on “Murdoch Mysteries” and “Still Standing”
- Mike Strange – Emmy Award-winning television writer and producer, known for his work on “Saturday Night Live” and “Late Night with Conan O’Brien”
- Alex Nagy – Founder of the highly successful craft brewery, Collective Arts Brewing
- Lynn Crawford – Acclaimed Canadian chef and restaurateur, known for her appearances on Food Network Canada and her restaurants in Toronto and Ottawa
- Mark Visentin – Professional ice hockey player, former goaltender for the Arizona Coyotes and a member of the Canadian national team.
- Joe Roberts – A Canadian motivational speaker and author, who overcame addiction and homelessness to become a successful entrepreneur and philanthropist.
- Sarah Ellen Morrison – An award-winning filmmaker, writer and producer who has worked on various independent projects and web series.
These are just a few examples of the many successful graduates of Niagara College who have gone on to make significant contributions in their respective fields.
Niagara College; Everything You Need To Know by SchoolsinOntario